MCMS is a monster. The only reason I am even looking at it is because a client already uses it. So off I went and downloaded the 120 day trial version at the MCMS website only to discover that it isn't that easy.
It has taken me about three days to collect all the prerequisites and fixes/patches/workarounds to get this beast off the ground. I was installing this on a WinXP SP2 machine. And it has not been an easy task.
Install before you install
- First of all there is a list of pre-requisite software to be installed. THere was IIS which is pretty obvious.
- Then I had to install a version of SQL Server called MSDE which will run on WinXP which you can get from the MSSQL site. This was the easy part.
- Next up is IE Web Controls. It took me forever to find these only to discover that a simple search on the Microsoft Downloads page against Content Management Server listed it as the second most popular download after MCMS itself. You live and learn.
- J# Redistributable was a little easier to find.
- Visual Studio .NET. Can't help you here for a download. I have an eduacational version from my university as I can't afford the massive price tag.
- I would also recomend downloading a sample of the Woddgrove Site. The links on the MCMS setup splash screen.
Now you would have thought that 3 & 4 were included with the install - or at least the option to download them on the fly.Preparing for the install
Woodgrove Sample Site
- You need to set up a user account on the local machine for MCMS to use. THe details are in the Installation notes so i will not rehash them here. I called mine "mcms_sys" so as to know exactly what it is for.
- You also need to set up a database for MCMS. I called mine - wait for it- mcmsTest.
- As my example is on a WinXP machine I didb't have to worry about setting up a seperate website as recommended for the Site Configurator.
- Run the install - follow the prompts - and pray.
This was a real pain to install. Every time I ran it it wouldn't accept my credentials. It would install all the files and get to the point of adding the data to the database. When i put in the user details I had created up comes "Could not authenticate the user" (or something to that affect).
Lots of googling later I found that this was a known problem as detailed on this page
. Mind you the solution was pretty hard to follow so here goes.
- Click Start->Run
- Type "gpedit.msc" and then enter
- Drill down Commputer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->Secutity Options
- Locate "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts"
- Right click and Properties
- Change the model to "Classic"
- "OK" and exit
Now run the Woodgrove Installer and all should go according to plan. Might take a while though.